#1 Red Wine
Red Wine has chromogens that give it its red color. That deep red likes to dive deep in the carpet and even underneath the carpet into the pad and even sub floor. It is also a Tannin which makes things tricky to remove without the perfect cleaning solution.
- Blot up as much as possible first.
- Mix one tablespoon of liquid dish washing detergent with 2 cups of cool water.
- Use a white cloth or sponge to blot up
- If stain Persists, use a 50/50 mix of hydrogen peroxide and water to blot up stain.
- switch to tequila so spills are clear not red ;)
Think about it, ink is kinda permanent on paper. It's made to stay on surfaces. In addition it spreads faster than a weed. When you add moisture to it, its grows and grows.
- Blot the stain with rubbing alcohol to add moisture (remember not to rub or it will smear)
- Continue to blot with white cloth moving to new positions as the stain transfers
- Throw away all your pens so you dont have to worry about this happening again ;)
Coffee stains are difficult for a separate reason. They are oxidizers. This means it can potentially damage the color of your carpet irreversibly.
- Apply very cold water to a white cloth
- put a small amount of powdered dish soap on the stain
- blot with cloth and repeat